Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Two Rose Windows Each Giving Hope and Solace

On September 11, 2007 after the conclusion of the Roosevelt Island 9/11 Memorial Service I walked back through Good Shepherd Plaza and I was struck by the site of the Rose Window and how the silhouette of the Chapel framed it so beautifully.

While I enjoy taking pictures and videos I am in no way a photographer in the true sense. But I do like this photograph. I think having the memorial in this plaza in the shadow of the Church is extremely fitting as this Church has been the spiritual home for so many that have lived and passed through Roosevelt Island.

Two days after the photo was taken I read in the New York Times of the return of another Rose Window to the Eldridge Street Synagogue on the Lower East Side of Manhattan in time for the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashona.

Much of my family's history is tied to the Lower East Side so seeing that window being restored and it’s return home made me smile.

For more information regarding the Church of the Good Shepherd you can link to the Roosevelt Island Historical Society webpage for the landmarked Church. For info regarding the Eldridge Street Synagogue you can visit the website for the Eldridge Street Project.

Happy New Year and L’Shona Tovah.

No comments:

Post a Comment