Monday, August 6, 2007

My First Southpoint Movie Experience: A Video




I was a few minutes late to Southpoint so I missed my RIHS Visitors Center Kiosk video montage but what I did see is a very professionally run movie night. RIOC should be congratulated. And the weather was great making life great for everybody. Attached to this blog post is a short 2 minute video giving the viewer a taste of what attending a RIOC movie night provides.

Both the picture and sound were great and I state in the video above the views from your seats are priceless. As I have stated in prior posts RIOC chares nothing to those attending and all of the movies are open to residents and non-residents alike.

Once the bus arrives at the South end of the Goldwater Hospital Campus I walked with a large group down the lighted path towards the screening. I should point out before entering Southpoint a large sign announces the future of Southpoint and the parkland planned. Unless I missed it very little is stated about the planned FDR memorial as part of that project.

Before you get to the movie the lighted path takes you past the former city smallpox hospital known to most residents as the Renwick Ruin. With the spotlights on the ruin the eerie feeling of ghosts descends upon you which would be great for a Halloween film fest if RIOC ever were to sponsor one (hint hint).

Once I got to the screening area it became clear that if you want a good seat you better get there early and bring a late picnic dinner. RIOC provided popcorn during the showing but you should bring your own food so you don’t have to get up during the showing. I believe that full height folding chairs are not allowed but beach height chairs were OK. As I said above I was late so I never got a full view of the audience.

The next movie on 8/18 is Funny Girl starring Barbra Steisand and I plan to have the baby sitter arrive early so we can do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Was also my first time at the movies, the park and Roosevelt Island.

    Also got there too late to see how many people there were, got there at 9:07pm.

    Had alot of fun and certainly going back for the 18th of Aug Funny Girl viewing.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete