Friday, December 21, 2007

Blackwell House Brick Fencing Demolition Began Today

P9140449

As reported this past October 15, 2007, RIOC had put out bids for a company to demolish the exterior brick fencing that surrounded Blackwell House's Southern garden / patio area. Well by this 8:00 am this all the brick work had been taken down. I must admit last night as I walked home it may have already been gone as I did not notice. As far as I know the garden area and brick work was not subject to the City landmarked status of the building.

Double click on either of the below thumbnails to see the planned changes and work being done.
Blackwell House - Seeding - Grading Blackwell House - Removal Instructions

I do know that over the years various couples had been married on those patios when the building was in good condition in years past prior to the current restoration. I guess the memories of those events will be relegated to personal memories and pictures as the dance floor has been removed.

Update: 1:30pm
The Roosevelt Islander posted a picture HERE of the now demolished grounds surrounding the structure. I admit I was not happy when I left my house without my camera.


P9140451


No comments:

Post a Comment