Monday, March 30, 2009

The Periodic Return of the Snapple Cap

It’s amazing how much play one little Snapple cap can get over time. Take “Real Fact” cap #266, supposedly retired, which states that “Manhattan is the only borough in NYC that does have a Main Street”. Any Roosevelt Island resident knows this statement to be absurd but every so often the issue comes up again to perennially make us to be the Rodney Dangerfield of Main Street NYC lore. Today this “fact” was again memorialized in the NY Times Metropolitan Diary. The Diarist, rose to our aid, and corrected amused life long City girl Judi Sinnreich, who obviously has never set foot on our shores.

5 comments:

  1. "does not" you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sketch about snapple facts from the folks over at the Upright Citizens Brigade. The language is NSFW, but its pretty hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-uW4lM_T4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually e-mailed Snapple and called them out on their erroneous fact. They apologized and stated that their "Real Facts" are given to them by unresearched sources. I say don't believe half the stuff you read on those caps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snapple has redesigned their website a few times and with the current product redesign it has happened again. I seem to recall that the "real facts" were designed to NOT be all real hence the quotations. The idea was to get consumers to read and wonder is that wacky fact true or not. As the old site has changed and I can find nothing to that effect on Google this theory can not be proved.

    I am actually more concerned with the age of the bottles that still bear (misp?) snapple fact 266 as supposedly that fact was decommissioned so long ago I wonder how old these bottles are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's because although Roosevelt Island is technically part of Manhattan County, no one really considers it as such. What Snapple meant and was not specific enough about was that there is no Main Street on Manhattan Island. I know that technically it is part of the borough of Manhattan, but growing up, I never knew anyone that actually considered it part of Manhattan. People who live there, my brother now included, don't say "I live in Manhattan", even though that is how they vote, they say "I live on Roosevelt Island." Oh well...

    ReplyDelete