Friday, May 1, 2009

Clarification Post Regarding Columbia Studio Subway Analysis



In my prior post referring to the Columbia studio regarding Roosevelt Island transportation issues I stated that for the study to be relevant regarding crowding on the platforms and cars that more than one day was needed to test conditions. I had incorrectly stated that the students only tested for one day but also stated my recollection could be wrong.

Well I admit I was wrong and the below emails and photos prove out that the students did indeed witness three morning rush hours which they documented. The photo montages also, as discussed below, indicate times when riders were indeed left behind on the Manhattan bound platform. I can't argue with the images portrayed on these images unless I can prove nobody went to the work on those days.

I still believe overall that during the 815am to 845am period, that the trains and platform are overcrowded. I have no solution to this problem other than encouraging residents to arrive on the platform earlier as I TRY to do as I have encountered little issue at any time before 8:10am.

Again I thank the students for their work although I disagree with their conclusions in this segment of their studio. By next Friday, the students will be putting up a website with a link to their final report in full detail and recommendations. You can be sure it will be linked to from here.



From: David Krulewitch
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 12:46:58 -0400
To: Roosevelt Island360; Dr. Floyd Lapp

Eric

Here are the photomontages of the 3 surveys we did on Roosevelt Island in the am peak. If you look closely, the times with an asterisk are the times not all people could get on the train. I hope that clarifies some things. Also, we attempted to get the data from the MTA regarding how many times these trains do not run on time, but they did not have that data (shocking!). Feel free to post these photomontages.

David


From: David Krulewitch
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 12:46:58 -0400
To: Roosevelt Island 360;; Dr. Floyd Lapp

Hi Eric,

I actually was the point person on the subway, we will be submitting a final report to RIOC next week which will flesh out the subway data in more detail. Just to make clear what my conclusions were: If the subway runs on schedule there is little to no overcrowding at the Roosevelt Island Subway stop. The train is scheduled to run 15 times an hour (every 4 minutes). There are only serious problems if trains get backed up in queens. We did three surveys and two of the surveys there were no delays because 15 trains ran in an hour, and on the 3rd survey only 9 trains ran in an hour and there were significant delays. I will have more analysis for you soon, but the report is still in a draft stage, and we have to get a bunch of stuff done by next Thursday.

David

6 comments:

  1. That has been my theory ever since. The only time the trains are so crowded that you cannot get on is when the trains deviate from the schedule for whatever reason. When this happens and the platforms fill up more and more people try to squeeze in and extend the delays even more. We on RI get the worst of it and contribute to delaying it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume we all read Frank Farance's opinion about the study in the current WIRE. Am I the only one who thinks that he is a little too harsh? In the end it was a semester project. Not sure why he rips those poor guys a new one. Because their findings did not agree with his anecdotes and the anecdotes he was told. How about the RIRA actually funds a research like that and see what professionals can come up with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the comments made by Mr. Farance were harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fail to understand why the island continues to try and elect this guy high positions. They tried to get him on the board, then RIRA president. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand his motivations to be like that, though. He wants to be elected to the RIOC board. How do you get the most votes? Rip everybody who thinks that there are no real problems on this island a new hole. I think, though, he is giving the island a bad name with his comments. First about the RIDN debacle and not the Columbia study.

    ReplyDelete
  6. why is it only the white people running this island.

    ReplyDelete