Friday, March 27, 2009

Earth Hour 2009 - March 28th 830pm-930pm



I only just sent an email a few hours ago into the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation asking if they have any plans to participate in Earth Hour 2009 by turning off non-essential lighting so I have not yet received a response. Like many people I am guessing they did not even hear of this effort. I only heard my self a few days ago.

Didn't the Earth get a whole day a few years back? This year Earth Hour is from 830pm to 930 pm on March 28th , Saturday night in your time zone.

Anyhow I was wondering if RIOC were to participate what lights would they turn off? My assumption would be the Lighthouse and Renwick Ruin.

I am not sure regarding the Lighthouse as I thought it was no longer working in the true sense of its original purpose,(yes the lights works but I thought it was decommissioned due to radar etc) but obviously if it it prevents any ship from running aground I am guessing we would not want to turn it off.

Just random thoughts.





Lighthouse picture via Flickr and Renwick ruin via Bowery Boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment